“Food for Thought” for Foodie Travelers
Following is a list of our food-related articles from the best food destinations around the world, organized by continent/region. Scroll through, or click one of the quick links below if you know the area you are seeking.
- Global Food Round-ups
- Australia & New Zealand
- Middle East
- North America
- South America
We admit it, we’re hungry travelers. For us food and travel go hand in hand. It’s one of the things that helps to define a destination, and we’ve made trips based on the reputation of a market or hot dog stand alone (we’re lookin’ at YOU, Buffalo, NY!) Taking a cooking course at a private home in Malaysia, truffle hunting in Italy, or finding a roadside stand in Canada selling berries that are only in season for 3 weeks a year are all experiences that have enriched our travels.
If you’re a hungry traveler, and you’d like to spice up your next vacation with some foodie trips and experiences, check out a listing of our food-related posts below.
Global Food Roundups
- The surprising best pizza in the world
- We search the world for the best donuts (and find a nasty one in the process)
- 10 food tourist traps to avoid
- The 11 best sandwiches in the world
- Michael goes uber-local at street market in Namibia and asks himself, If you are what you eat, am I an ass?
- At a cooking class in Kuala Lumpur, Larissa gets spicy with authentic Malaysian cooking.
- It took some research, but we managed to find The world’s stinkiest donut.
- If a picture’s worth a thousand words, we need say nothing more about these photos of Foods of Bali.
- Vietnamese food: Taking it to the street showcases the delectable flavors of one of our fave cuisines.
- Would you eat this? takes a humorous look at Chinese dishes that are definitely lost in translation.
- We found an unexpected Slice of home in Hong Kong.
- Food tips in a Shanghai taxi showed us a clever tip about eating kiwi fruit.
Australia & New Zealand
- Getting fresh at the Sydney Fish Market
- Victor Churchill, the swanky Sydney butcher Where Oprah had a beef.
- Noodling around Sydney’s night market
- We brave that Aussie classic in a Vegemite taste test (video with live chickens included!)
- The world’s best gelato may just be in New Zealand
- Lamb tongues and more: A New Zealand taste test (yet another video)
- Learning how to make pasta in Italy involved a lot of hand-rolling of dough, but at least we got to eat our work.
- Scenes from an Italian rest stop will make your mouth water–no gnarly burgers at this highway pullover!
- Even a stormy day couldn’t prevent us from Truffle hunting in Italy.
- A tasty slice of Bologna highlights yummy treats in this foodiest of food cities.
- A delectable Turkish sandwich had us uttering the unlikely phrase, “Damn, that’s good sheep intestine!“
- What is it with intestines??? This time it’s in Scotland for A fistful of haggis (and there’s even a video!)
- Tasty pictures of decadent Paris pastry–do we really need to explain this one?
- We first visited Our favorite restaurant in Rome 30 years ago–and it still lives up to our memories.
- You can go grocery shopping, but it’s more fun Eating at the Florence Central Market.
- Michael spent most of our first visit to Bucharest Tasting as many Romanian pastries as possible.
- Learn from our mistake; avoid an international incident by reading How not to get tossed out of a pub in Ireland (which is the all-time most popular post on our blog!)
- We tasted a lot of clunkers before we figured out Where to find the best scones in Edinburgh.
- Sure, we knew about hummus, but were further delighted by The Surprising food of Israel.
- A small side street in Qatar’s capital yielded Our daily bread in Doha.
- Tasting reindeer sausage in Alaska. (Or call it “caribou” if you’re Rudolph-friendly)
- The dozen best donuts in America (Not just the shop, but the best donut in each of them.)
- What exactly IS Cincinnati Chili? And where do you get the best?
- A Hot dog in Hawaii at Giovanni’s Shrimp Truck. Who knew it could taste so good served with rice?
- A visit to Graceland prompts the eternal question: “What would Elvis Eat?“
- Hawaii-bound folk will enjoy our Food lover’s guide to Oahu.
- Don’t forget the Food lover’s guide to the Big Island of Hawaii.
- A crust-and-sauce filled day as we ponder, Is Old Forge, PA the Pizza Capital of the world?
- We poke fun at foodie pretension in Has the farm-to-table movement gone too far?
- As dawg lovers, we just had to chow down on these Chargrilled hot dogs in Buffalo, NY.
- A Foodie troll through Chapel Hill, NC.
- In Texas we ask, “What are kolaches?” and get a butter-filled answer.
- Pizzeria Bianco, the shop in Phoenix that started the artisan pizza movement in the U.S.
- Navajo fry bread tacos. That’s some southwest fusion cooking!
- Old-fashioned goodness at Leopold’s Ice Cream in Savannah, GA.
- Sonoran Hot Dogs are Tucson’s signature street food.
- Dream job for a day when We make the donuts at Mazurek’s Bakery in Buffalo, NY.
- After traveling all 50 states, we still think this is The Best BBQ dish in America.
- The National Mustard Museum has got ’em all–spicy, yellow, brown . . . everything but the Colonel.
- Farm to city at the Headhouse Farmers Market in Philadelphia.
- Iowa State Fair food. (Hint: deep-fried everything!)
- Is dulce de leche the best flavor in the world? Well . . . DUH!